The Rock was purpose built as a hostelry in 1808. It was well established in the early part of the nineteenth century, and was used extensively for Parish Meetings and Petty Sessions for the Bedwellty District, including the registration of voters and the collection of tithes. All petty thefts and accidents on the tramroad and at the collieries were dealt with here.
There was a brew-house at the back of the inn and various tradesman carried out their employment in adjoining buildings. Watkin Watkins worked as a wheelwright, with John Dalby (smith) in the 1850s. Much later Fred Meredith traded as carpenter and wheelwright.
An 1860 map of the district depicts what appears to be a building in the roadway, and from information handed down over the years, gates were placed across the road at night.
Jeremy Price, who was proprietor in 1877, was charged for keeping his house open for sale of beer on Sunday and consequently fined 10/- and costs.
Thankfully those days are long past and you can now enjoy the hospitality of this wonderful old watering-hole every day of the week without falling foul of the law.